Darren Solomon 09/02/12
More than just a composer and producer, Darren Solomon is a trailblazing interactive remix artist.
How do you top performing with legends Ray Charles and Barry Manilow? Easy. Create an interactive, collaborative music and spoken word project.
That’s just what Darren did with In B Flat 2.0.
3 years and over 700,000 clicks later, the experience is still going strong.
How does it work? Click on any video in any order. They will play simultaneously as a cohesive soundtrack. The mix can be adjusted with the individual volume sliders.
If you’re musically inclined and want to participate, all you have to do is:
- Sing or play an instrument in Bb major. Simple, floating textures work best, with no tempo or groove. Leave lots of silence between phrases.
- Record in a quiet environment, with as little background noise as possible.
- Wait about 5-10 seconds to start playing.
- Total length should be between 1-2 minutes.
- Thick chords or low instruments don’t work very well.
- Record at a low volume to match the other videos.
- You can listen to this mix on headphones while you record.
- After you upload to YouTube, play your video along with the other videos on this page to make sure the volume matches.
While he hasn’t updated the video selections in a while, he has said that if you’re feeling inspired, submit a video and maybe he will be able put it in a future update.
Also, check out his interactive sound and music map Marker/Music.